Perhaps a perfect pikesized piggyback yard for modelling. Though being high tech, it still shows its past as an another station on a former mainline.
Grycksbo on former GDJ mainline.
Grycksbo is now the end of the line of a branch serving a paper plant in the town. The trackage is being heavily modernized to new purpose but still does have enough evidence from its haydays as one of the most important station on line of a former main line.
In the year 1859 opened Gävle-Dala Järnväg (GDJ) their first line Gävle-Falun, and by then people had hopes for expending the line to Lake Siljanarea. But the years went by without commitment from the railroad officials. Twenty years later, 1879 a new intermine board was formed in Falun with the task to form a railroad line between Kongsvinger-Mora-Bollnäs-Söderhamn. But soon they studied possibilities for a line from Falun to Lake Siljan. But approtiaion for a new line was denied by the GDJ, which was the start fo a new railroad company called Siljans Järnväg AB which started to operate Borlänge-Insjön in 1884. The new line ment competion for GDJ, and soon the company called the board to a meeting in Falun in 1885 to plan for a extension to Rättvik. The engineer Danielsson was given the mission to plan and calculate for the new line. The estimated cost for the new line was 1,7 million crones plus for expensives for new rolling stock. The Stora Kopparsbergs Bergslags descition to relocate their sawmill from Domnarvet to Skutsär speeded the palnning for the new line, because the relocation ment reduction on revenues. A group of shareholders proposed that GDJ should invest in the new company with a condition that the new line would be operated by GDJ. The board approved to invest 250 000 crones with an additional condition that line should be extended to Mora. The city council of Gävle approved to invest 150 000 crones also with a condition to extension to Mora, though this condition was later removed.
Statutering meeting for the new railroad company called Falun-Siljans Järnväg AB, was kept in Falun december 18.th 1885. The coporate bylaws wer confirmed by his royal majestic with a petitation that the new company should be renamed Falun-Rättviks Järnväg AB. The koncession was confirmed april 2.nd 1886. When the new company received bond loan of 1 650 000 crones, the company requested for koncession for a extension to Noret located in Mora. The request was approved in 1888, and the company was renamed Falun-Rättvik-Mora Järnväg AB (FRMJ). The board of the FRMJ contracted engineer C. Jehander for the construction for the line Falun-Rättvik for 856 000 crones. The construction was to be started in untill july 1.st 1888, but the construction started in sepember 1887 at Stennäset contiuning west. The construction work with the line through the city of Falun was delayed arguments with land owners. But the part of line from Falun to Sågmyra was opened in november 12.th 1889 and to Rättvik august 12.th 1890.
The line Rättvik-Mora was also constructed by C.Jehander for 405 000 crones, and opened august 2.nd 1891. At the line Falun-Orsas opening cerenomies, the line was opened by the king Oskar II 15:th of september 1892. Eventually GDJ purchased all of FRMJ:s stock and the line was operated as a subsidiary untill 1918, when the company merged into GDJ in 1920. Siljans Järnväg opened as earlier mentioned in 1884, was threathened by the new company, specially for a possible extension south to Leksand. Few years after the line was in operation conditons had changed, the iron mills around the Lake Siljan ceased their operations, and the delivery of freight had been rerouted from Västerås by the railroad line to Gävle by GDJ. The various board meetings in 1898 decided for a extension to Rättvik for a total cost of 1 518 000 crones. The Koncession was approved in march 1899, directing the start of the constructed before april 1.st 1900 and the lined to be opened before april 1.st 1902. The company could not raise the acquired sum of money and necotiated with Södra Dalarnas Järnväg (SDJ) of mergering, including all assets, debt, rolling stock and the construction of the new line. But the proposal was denied by the board of the Siljan railway, but eventually the both companies merged in 1910. The construction of the new line was started in the 1910.s and the line was opened in 1914. The construction was carried out by Nordiska Järnvägsbyggnads AB. The SDJ had joined in to Trafikförvaltningen Göteborg-Stockholm-Gävle (TGSG) ( consisting of the railrod companies Bergslagarnas Järnväg (BJ), operating Gothenburg-Falun, Stockholm-Westerås-Bergslagen (SWB), operating a system from Stockholm to sothwest Dalarna, Gävle Dala Järnväg (GDJ), operating Falun-Mora, Södra Dalarnas järnväg (SDJ) operating Krylbo-Borlänge-Rättvik and Dalslands järnväg (DJ) connecting BJ to the norwegian border.) When the lines joined to GDG, the utilisation the efforts effcted to speed up the runs on timetables and the use of rollingstock.
According the the decition of nationailzation of the privetly owned railroad lines, the GDG lines was taken over by SJ in 1.st of april 1948. the most noteble change in operations was that the passangertrains Stockholm-Dalarna wer relocted to Krylbo-line instead of running through Gävle-Falun. Coaches to Älvdalen, Sveg and Östersund was coupled to the some of the trains. And a sleepewre service was offered as a trial during the summers. A run through railcar service named "Siljan" was installed in the 50.es, later to be reequipped with dieseltraisets of Y# class and eventually replaced by ordinary pieces of rolling stock. During 1965-1968 all the stops and the smaller depots between Borlänge-Mora were closed, as the localtrains were discontinued. The Line Falun/Borlänge-Rättvik-Mora was among the last lines to use steam, but during the late 50.es the first dielselengines apeared on the line but steam was still the king for many years. The freight traffic was so heavy that SJ forced to put in two the former oreline 0-10-0.s of R-class in service to battle the grades from Rättvik. The R-class were the heaviest steamengines ever in Sweden, and this event attracted lots of railfans to the line. Gradually all trains were routed over the line from Borlänge, and after that Borlänge recived a new station with a large classification yard the engines were stationed in Borlnge and the roundhouses were closed. Soon the line Falun-Rättvik was concidered as a surplus, and the strech Grycksbo-Rättvik was closed in 1965. The remaing section section Falun-Grycksbo is sparely used to service a paperplant in Grycksbo.
Today the line is prepared to be used for more extensive use to the serve the plant and there are plans run preserved trains of msGDJ located in the roundhouses in Falun. The line Borlänge-Mora was electrified during 1976 and 1978. the opening cerenomies was kept in 27.th of may 1978. Durring the early of the 1990.es the lines were upgraded to the standard of the major trunklines.
The transfer crane buildingA few images of the building while the doors are open.
The building with the crane is perhaph the focal point of the yard, at least the center of any operation of the yard. Though the building is a new construction it not supricingly unisolated considering the tough cold winters of the area.
A look inside, gives uss aview a small office and the green transfer crane. Note the unisolated walls.
There are two types of containers used besides the highway trailers. The typcal overseas containers such as this 20´version and special containers used in domestic transports, these are all 40´in length.
Intermodal in modelling.
A 40 foot shipping container sitting on a container skid.
Intermodal is a term were containers highway trailers and even whole trucks with trailers and loads are transported on rail or in a ship. Reason of theis boom is the efficency, as the load it self is no longer required to be reloaded from one mode of transportation in to another. Today, increasingly more and more of freight is loaded in containers or trailers, but hauled by rail.
In Europe, the more modest load sized restrictions has directed the developement in intermodal transportation in very different way than in Northern America, where the size of freight cars transporting containers and high way trailers are giant compare to their European cousins. This is also direvted of the rather more frequent and shorter distances in Europe, where a 1000 km run is considerd as a long run and trans continal runs are not required.
Even being modest in size, Grycksbo shows common feature on a intermodal yard. Large paved storage areas for containers and trailers, fenced of intruders and as a safty aspect. This as machinery used in loading does not provde the best view around the vehicle. On this image you see also typicas modern designs of Eoropean high way trailers. These also feature special reinforced pads made for crip handling by spreaders used on loading on and off a freight car.
In Europe there are these alternatives for intermodal transpotation on rail: